Call Us

(855) 289-3769

SPEAK WITH OUR DIAMOND
& JEWELRY EXPERTS.
Default banner

Platinum and platinum group metals

Platinum is a precious metal, highly valued and demanded in fine jewelry. However, it is uncommon to find 100% pure platinum jewelry since in most cases it is combined with other precious metals or with base metals. The reason behind this, is to lower the final costs of the jewelry piece. Therefore, if you are thinking about platinum, it is mandatory before you buy an engagement ring in New York, as well as any other platinum piece to be aware of percentage of pure platinum contained in your jewel.

Platinum and other metals of the platinum group share chemical properties and are usually found within the same mineral deposits.

These platinum group metals are: platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, osmium and iridium. All of them share some characteristics such as being highly resistant to wear and tarnish, resistance to high temperature and resistance to outer elements damage. These features make them valuable for their usage in fine jewelry, being platinum the most demanded one.

Platinum and palladium are soft metals, highly resistant to oxidation while rhodium and iridium are harder and more difficult to work with. Ruthenium and osmium, even when they belong to the same group are too hard to work with and have lower oxidation resistance. For this reasons, these last two platinum family metals are not demanded in the jewelry making industry.

Among the platinum group metals, platinum is the most widely used in jewelry making. Nevertheless, if you intend to purchase platinum jewelry, you have to be aware of the percentage of pure platinum present in the allow.

Platinum jewelry pieces are usually labeled, for example, as:

Platinum. This means the metal alloy contains a minimum 95% of pure platinum

850 platinum. In this case, the jewelry piece is made of 85% pure platinum and the remaining 15% corresponds to another platinum group metal or another base metal.

800 platinum-200 palladium. This means the metal alloy is made of 80% pure platinum and 20% palladium. The piece is, therefore, made of 100% platinum group metal.

Frequently, jewelry pieces are labeled as “platinum”, even when they contain between 15% to 50% of a base metal and only 85% to 50% of pure platinum, therefore, the total percentage of pure platinum or other platinum group metal can be less than the 95% that “platinum labeled” jewels should contain.

It is obvious, then, than counting with a reliable and professional jewel and diamond dealer in New York is crucial to make an informed purchase. At DiamondBuyerNYC we know the importance that investing in jewelry has, and we are, therefore, pleased to guide our customers to make an informed decision, before spending their money and illusions. Contact us anytime, we will be pleased to thoroughly inform you about all the real characteristics and properties of the jewel that caught your attention.